Get Kids Reading This Summer!

GoodnCrazy summer series Help! My kids are driving me crazy!
{click to see the whole series}


Avoiding The Summer Reading Slump

I'm super excited to introduce Wendy Toone (@MobiMom on Twitter)! She is part of the Husband/Wife team behind MobiStories.com. They create and sell movie-like children's books and once purchased, you download directly to your computer... or even better(!)straight to your iPhone (or iPod or iTouch)!! The books range in price from $3.99 to $7.99 and are perfect for younger children and simply amazing for kids just learning to read!

I first saw her site when I was looking for ways to entertain my kids on a couple CRAZY loooong road trips coming up this summer. And yeah... I can download another 30 minute TV show to my iTouch, but how much better would my 5yrold be with 3 books read to him in that same amount of time!? When I approached Wendy about doing a GoodNCrazy feature she offered me a few titles to try out! Awesome of her huh?!
I counted over 20 book titles on their site, and I had a hard time deciding which ones to download! Even with the preview feature to help me decide! I chose Big Rig Daddy, and Mike and the Bike for my little boy. He's listened to both titles on the computer and on the iTouch, wow he totally loves them... and he's super close to reading on his own, so it's great to watch him with these.

PLUS** how cool is this? Wendy is offering a 30% discount to any GoodNCrazy readers who purchase thru the website MobiStories.com during the month of July!

Wendy has put together some really fabulous ideas to keep your kids reading this summer, here's what she said on her blog:

"What??!!?? Oh yeah, here we go again. The kids will be thrilled to wake up late, laze around in front of the TV for a day, and completely decompress. {For – a – day!} Then what?? Camps, classes, & playdates can fill up the days and keep them active and occupied. But my fear is always that their brains will turn to mush by mid-July, leaving them (and in turn, me) frustrated and floundering come mid-September when they’re back in school with flabby grey matter that hasn’t been exercised in way too long.

*Warning: statistics approaching*

According to Kent State Graduate School of Education’s Dr. Timothy Rasinski, professor of literacy education, students can lose as much as 3 month’s worth of reading level over the summer. This means during the course of elementary education, a 6th grader could wind up as much as a year-and-a-half behind his/her peers. I know, it sounds rather drastic. But research shows that younger elementary school students rarely make up deficits in reading once they fall behind. Conversely, students who read (practice) during the summer could end up 3 months ahead, too.

So, why not be even just a little pro-active in keeping your kids reading. That doesn’t mean they need to plow through “War and Peace” by August 24th. Here are just a few FUN ways reading can become part of your family’s summer fun activities:
And then she lists 10 different terrific ideas. Including my favorite: Turning the sound down on your TV and turning the closed captioning on! I love this. We've been trying it.. maybe even try it in another language!! You can read the other summer reading ideas on her blog, enjoy!
If you have any questions about the discount code please tweet @mobimom to talk to Wendy!


1.
The Daily Delights has terrific ideas for using children's books and creating activities around the books and the characters. One idea uses the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and I love another one from Make Way For Ducklings!
2.
This summer 'Be Creative @ Your Library'! Nationwide the library in YOUR town takes part in a theme summer reading program: Summer Library Reading Program or SLRP... have you checked out your local library? What activities and free events are they holding! See what the Rochester Hills Library is doing!



3.
I am all over this book! Great idea for older kids?? The Kids' Book Club Book! My tweeners are totally ready for this sort of thing.. would be awesome for a summer time plan, with all these road trips!!
4.
Terrific reading ideas from Family Education.com. 15 minute activities.. Every kids can handle that kind of time frame.. check some of these out!

5.
Turn off the Idiot Box! Some great tips from a fellow mom blogger Little Peachlings on getting your kids reading! I also love this one about Cloud "reading"!


Oh my heck! I was featured. And it didn't hurt or anything!



Photobucket



gmbmbadge.jpg







1581884212_57276dd550_o