MEME: Mothers Eagerly Morphing into Ewes

UPDATE:

IF YOU'VE JUST ARRIVED VIA MY NEW FANCY "YOU MADE ME MEME" BUTTON?

Then welcome! Glad you could join us. You make 'us' a grand total of 3. But that's a trend right? Read on to find out the real and true definition of a MEME. And then go MEME yourself.


Oh if you are a glutton, there's more. A whole week of MEME bashing in fact.

Here, Here, Here and Here.


(Now back to the original post)



I was working on a post about MEMEs when I got ‘tagged’. The post about MEMEs, went something like this:

What the heck is a MEME? What does it stand for? Is it an acronym?

I looked it up. It stands for:

Multimedia & Electronic Music Experiments

Uh…I guess that was the wrong acronym. I tried again.

Multiple EM for Motif Elicitation

Nope. Wrong again. WHAT IS A MEME?!

The word ‘meme’ is French and means…nothing as far as I can tell. It’s sort of like the word mere in the English language. Go ahead, try to define mere. As in; I merely have a headache from memetics (a real word).

So what is it? Finally after paying respect to the UN-knowledge dumpsite-- Wikipedia.org. I found this:

A meme (pronounced /miːm or mɛm/) consists of any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that gets transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods and terms such as race, culture, and ethnicity. Memes propagate themselves and can move through a "culture" in a manner similar to the behavior of a virus.

Oooh. Thank you very much. Clear as mud. But that last part about it being like a virus…that makes sense. Sheep sense, following the crowd kind of sense.

Not this ewe.

I stopped participating in chain letters around the age of 10. And I’m sorry but I just cannot be bothered to open those random email forwards folks send on. You know the ones: ‘Iraqi soldier is being deprived of his daily Starbucks’, or ‘this child has been missing for 6 years’, or my absolute favorite ‘THERE’S GOING TO BE A MARS SIGHTING’—but the Mars thing was 4 years ago and the email didn’t have a date so everyone keeps forwarding it as if it’s coming THIS year, the others are completely debunked by snopes.com as pure hoaxes. (I’ll confess however I have been known to open a few forwards when they promise to be funny, but for the most part—who has time? WAAAAY too busy blogging, myself).

Enough of the rant. Here’s what I figure. I’ll answer this one and (hopefully) only MEME tag, and then refer any future ones back to this post. (PS. If you want to know something about me…I’m willing, just ask!)

It begins....

TAGGED Rules:

A. Post The Rule's. I already failed. I refuse to post the rules or tag anyone else. Such a Rebel.



1. What were you doing 10 years ago? Having sex. Sorry, what do you want? We didn’t have kids yet. And everyone knows sex ends with the firstborn. No one knows how child numbers 2 and 3 get here…


2. 5 Things on my To-Do List Today--- Is this items actually on my list, or items that might reasonably wind up finished in the course of the day? Because in my world those are two VERY different things. On my list: 40 minutes on the treadmill—on my reality list: back to bed for 40 minutes of treading sleep. (After I get the kids out the door and glue 3yrold to nickjr.com). On my list: reconcile the bank account—on my reality list: write this fabulous post of course! I think you get the picture…


3. What snacks I enjoy... For reals on this one. After several weeks of my new un-diet diet, I honestly love a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese with a handful of Wheatables. For a kick I throw in some dried fruit—how’s that for excitin’? (of course all the jellybeans are gone so I couldn’t eat those anyway). Oh all right, red licorice if we're being totally honest. But only Red Vines, I can't even type that other brand.


4. What would I do if I were to suddenly become a Billionaire? Well, duh. Same as every other obscene celebrity. I’d do the Britney Spears thing, wouldn’t you? I’d start with cutting all my hair off, it’s such a nuisance anyway.


5. 3 Bad Habits.. Blogging, blogging, blogging.


6. 5 Places I've lived.. That’s boring, let’s talk about where I’d like to live. Japan. England. Costa Rica. Russia. Florence, Italy. I mean come ooon. Let’s dream a little.


7. 5 Jobs I've had.. Oooh, this is juicy. Let’s see…there was my sixteen-year-old summer job at Taco Time. (Don’t make fun, I still roll a mean soft taco, I’ll make one for you sometime) Then the next year I moved up a slot and got a waitressing job at a local greasy spoon. In college I once cleaned office buildings in the evenings (that sucked-completely ruined the little social life I had). And the last job before the motherhood thing took over? Molecular Biologist. You think I’m making that up don’t you? It’s true. I studied Xenopus laevis Oocytes (frog eggs), and Ustilago maydus (corn fungus). See why I switched jobs? I exchanged all that glamour for meconium and croup experiments. Wouldn’t you?


8. 5 Things People don't Know About Me.. I love Dr. House. I want to marry him. (But I do not want to marry Stuart Little’s dad, ew.) I hate reality shows—Especially AMERICAN IDOL. I am knitting an afghan. How many is that? This is hard. Crap. How about this? I have 9 siblings. Yup, Mormon Family. Hey, that’s five, now you know that I am LDS. No not LSD, quit getting so excited.


11 comments:

Kaye Butler said...

Loved this one! As always

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, I'm SO glad you found my blog and posted a comment. I am so happy to have found yours......love your prose, love that you hate meme's (I had to look that one up a few months ago as well)but were willing to do one.....I love licorice, but that other brand is my favorite, and I so agree with you with Dr. House but not Stuart Little's dad. It doesn't even seem possible that it's the same man. I hope you don't mind me adding you to my bloglines.........I also love Scribbit and Confessions of a Pioneer woman.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Great post! I don't like to do meme's either, but sometimes do when I have nothing else to contribute to the blogosphere.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Hey thanks. I was working on that MEME post for a while when the tag thing came along and well...I just vomited up the rest.

And Prose?? I thought that was babbling. But I like the sound of prose much better!

I especially don't understand all the 'work it wednesdays' or 'thiry-nine bizarre things thursdays'. But I didn't dare blog about it for fear of really upsetting someone. (I do have a line).

Jillybean said...

It took me quite a while to figure out what a MEME was.
And that NABLOPOMO (or whatever it was called) really had me confused.

Your Pal Pinki said...

Unfortunately I'm a sucker for a MEME. I usually do them over on myspace though where it feels more optional and less like a chain letter (Chain letters get deleted immediately for sure.) Though lately I'd rather be reading wonderful blogs like yours and writing for my own. : )

Dawn said...

I just wanted to let you know I just posted this Meme on blog. I LOVE that little button!! Hope you come check it out. :)

6 Happy Hearts said...

I'm a happy lil' lamb who follows along these meme's : )
My friend Dawn did it, now I'm posting & so it goes...
I once was in love w/Dr. House & then the writers went a little too dark.
I need to check him out again!
Thanks for the button & the MEME!

Sarah said...

hee hee hee. Deliciously ironic that I used your tutorial to create, among other buttons, a meme button! I love House, BTW. Do blog about abhorring memes! (you may already have, I'll check later, I really have to sleep after spending so much time last night figuring out the button thing) I really enjoy your good and crazy style!

Lil' This...Lil' That... said...

Absolutely LOVE this post!!! HA! Just wanted I needed :)

Bev Sykes said...

I decided that "meme" isn't pronounced "meem" but Me! Me! because memes are always about ME!


Oh my heck! I was featured. And it didn't hurt or anything!



Photobucket



gmbmbadge.jpg







1581884212_57276dd550_o