My 9/11 Story.

I've been thinking a lot about how to go about this post.
It's hard. And it's long, and I don't apologize.

I'm sure everyone has heard every view inside and out about September 11th. Should I add my housewife's version to all the rest? It's hard to wrap my head around my own experience. Let alone share it. (My husband was truly the one who was there). I was safe all tucked up in my sweet little New Jersey-ian suburb. But I was freaked out and seriously scared all the same.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we only had one cell phone. It seemed decadent having it at all, much less considering having two! He commuted into the city via NJTransit everyday and it was ideal for him to make work calls while on the train. And to call me on his way home letting me know he was on his way, or when there was a delay and the ETA.

Every once in a while, I needed the phone for some mom thing, and he would leave it with me for the day. No big deal right?

I needed the phone on that particular Tuesday, because that night it would be my turn to drive around to several neighborhoods picking up young girls for a church activity. I had to take my kids with me, and it was hard to find a place to park, and then get the kids out and knock on (usually apartment) doors. Having the cell phone, was fabulous for just such an errand.

Let's rewind to the morning of Tuesday, September 11th.

We don't usually watch TV in the AM, and my husband apparently did not listen to the radio that morning driving to the train station. He generously left the cell phone behind (at my request) and left around 9:15AM, to catch a 9:30AM train.

I grabbed my grocery list and left soon after to take my then nearly 4 year old to pre-school. Again NOT listening to the radio. I dropped off my kid and another mommy grabbed me and asked: had I heard about the plane? The what, I replied? She said, it's on the radio, some sort of small plane has crashed into a building in Manhattan. A plane? That's crazy! I checked the radio. And sure enough, that's exactly what they were reporting. A small plane has crashed into a building in the city, no more details than that? I didn't know what to think, and not that I didn't believe it, it sounded tragic, but I still needed groceries, right?

Fairly nonchalantly I meandered over to the grocery store. (It seems so crass in hind-sight, I know). By the time I got to the store, the reports on the radio were growing quite a bit more intense, and there were clear updates that for sure the small plane had in fact hit one of the twin towers. Okay, now THIS got my attention. My husband did not work in the World Trade Center, he worked way up in Midtown, practically right on Broadway. But his train, the one he was literally on at that moment, traveled directly UNDER the towers!! I sat in my car for a long time listening to the radio. My younger kid was getting agitated sitting in her car seat.

I finally got out and attempted to do the shopping. Remember now, I AM THE ONE WITH THE CELL PHONE!!! I have tried several times to call his work, to leave a message. But the lines are jammed, you know that awful fast busy signal? And I'm not the only one. There are all these other zombie mommies walking around the store with a toddler in the seat and no groceries in the cart, talking or attempting to talk on their cell phones. We kept looking at each other with these questioning stares, wondering...

I gave up, and bought the few things that miraculously landed in my cart, I certainly didn't remember putting them there. My drive home takes me up over a little hill before dropping back down into the valley that is my town. And while on the top-most part of the hill, in the not too far off distance, I can see the Manhattan skyline. And there is a thin trail of smoke at the southern end of the island, right about where you can clearly see the two towers. Only the smoke is too thick to make them out.

This completely does me in. I loose it, right there in the car. I'm all tears and mushy, and still don't have any real information. My baby is blissfully oblivious, but confused at crazy mama. The radio by now has gotten some better information and they are letting us in on the gruesome realization that it was NO small plane, it was a huge and very packed jetliner, with a full tank of jetfuel! Remember I still haven't seen any television footage, most Americans at this point know more than I do. They are describing how people are being evacuated. Evacuated? From a hundred and ten foot building? How is that going to work out??

I make it home and my home phone rings. Praise be, I think, he's calling me finally! But no. It was a close friend, calling to see how much I knew and whether my husband had checked in. I caught her up on what I knew, which was nothing. And she let me know that she too couldn't contact her husband who had taken a much earlier train. She sounded much more upset than I was, and I agreed to drive over to her place for a while.

This is where I first watch actual television footage, now I am totally and completely horrified. AND the news about the second plane, and the one in Pennsylvania and the one at the Pentagon start filtering in. Should we pack up the kids and start driving West? North? Where? Without our husbands!? I still can't get hold of my husband and my friend was more under control. I decide to go pick up my preschooler early, because it is truly freaking me out not having my whole family right with me-- right that second.

Soon after we get home again the phone rings. I remember this being around 11AM, but the details are way fuzzy for me, it's all smushed together. The person on the other end of the line is someone I don't know. She is apologizing that it's strange for her to be calling, but that she is calling on behalf of my husband (Thank God). She is the secretary of a friend of my husband's who is an attorney at a totally different law firm than my husband's. I don't care who she is, she's my new saving angel and I love her. Her message was that he was not able to get into his building at all, as they were evacuating it. But he was fine, and working on getting home. That's all the news I get. I don't hear directly from my husband for 3 or 4 more hours.

The activity for the young women, was of course canceled. I never needed that horrible phone at all. And it would have made such a difference for him.

He caught a train from Penn Station to Newark around 7PM that night. He was stranded in NYC, (never did get into his building), for no less than 9 hours.

I leave him to tell his side of the story. (I'll post it, if he's willing...)

For several weeks after that day. People were...different...nice. You'd wave to people you didn't know (a rarity there), you'd ask strangers directly if they had lost anyone. There was no honking on the streets (truly odd). I remember the first time someone honked at me in annoyance, about 3 weeks after 9/11, and I was totally upset. Didn't they know? The rules? The new rules? We are genuinely concerned for everyone, we don't honk, because it's possible that person you just honked at, might have lost their husband to a terrorist attack in our own back yard.

Please pardon my multiple tenses in the post. It's still all sort of real and current for me, and I'm having a hard time placing this story wholly in the past?


Claremont First Ward said...

Oh my gosh. I have tears in my eyes and goose bumps. I'm so glad you shared this!

Melissa Ann Browning said...

Thank you for sharing! Yours is a unique perspective that we didn't hear that often - the family member at home... Thank goodness for that phone call!

Jaime said...

This almost made me cry! I would have totally freaked out! Thanks for sharing!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I'm glad it struck the right nerve? I'm no good at this touchy feely sensitive stuff.

Thanks for caring.

Jocasta said...

Totally well written. That waiting must have been dreadful. I was just about in tears myself.

United Studies said...

I always enjoy reading someone's 9/11 story. I mean, not because it was a fun event, but it gives another perspective on it. The thing that always sticks with me is that my dad was supposed to be on the plane that crashed in to the Pentagon, but at the last minute his company put him on another flight.

PS- - visiting from An Island Life.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

such a powerful post.

Featured on Good Mom/Bad Mom on the Houston Chronicle.

KJ said...

Wow. Great post, and interesting to me to hear your story. I was living in NYC with my boyfriend then - his dad worked in the WTC but was home with a cold that day. We didn't know that though, and my boyfriend walked from Washington Heights, where we lived, to his parent's apartment in Stuyvesant town where his parents lived because we couldn't get them on the phone. Scary, but turned out well for us. Glad your husband was okay.

bichonpawz said...

Wow. I can even feel how scared you were. And this is an interesting perspective. I'm so glad that your husband was ok. Truly an awful day. For all of us.

Givinya De Elba said...

Wow. Thankyou for writing that.

At the very same time, I was woken up here (just after midnight) in Australia by my agitated husband urgently saying, "Come and see the news!" CNN was on three of our TV channels and your ABC was on the other - and we all started freaking out.

And the whole time, half a world away, you (and thousands of others) were going through ... THAT. I'm so sorry that those things happened.

jean said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this. I still think about that day and I always will. My husband (a cop in NJ) was called into work to block the GW bridge on the NJ side. I waited hours to hear from him. I knew that he was not near the towers but I didn't know what else was going on there. He was gone two days. He came home when so many didn't. I still can't look at a plane in the sky without replaying that second plane hitting the tower.
I found your post via Good Mom/Bad Mom.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Lest we forget...Lest we forget!! Thank you for sharing and keeping the memory living through your own experience.

Scary Mommy said...

I will never forget that day. I have never been the same. Thank you for writing this- I don't know if I have it in me to write our story out. Maybe...

Unknown said...

IT'S ME!!! The one who used your story on her blog! ;) just wanted to say WOW. It's still something I tend to get obsessed with.
BTW... you're blog was fun to look at and read.
Thanks for your stories!

Wendy_P_in_NJ said...

Hey, thanks for sharing. My day started with getting breakfast in the kitchen and hubby calling me to say a plane had hit the WTC--this was early on when they thought it was a small private aircraft. I turned on the TV and watched the second one hit and the fires burn and tried to get breakfast when all I wanted to do was watch that TV. Ran across the street to a neighbors to see if she knew where her husband was. Might have even called you to see if you had heard from yours. Wasn't watching TV when the towers fell, but heard it on the radio--don't know which was worse. Couldn't FATHOM they could collapse! Couldn't FATHOM how anyone could have gotten out alive! When I was watching them burn, couldn't FATHOM how they might put the fire out! Thought for sure the world as we knew it was coming to an end. Like you, I thought about running to PA, but without my husband?

FYI, the Midtown Direct, which I'm sure Boyd said he was on, doesn't go anywhere near the towers--let along under them. Please don't hate me for correcting you--you know I love ya!

Killara girl said...

What a horrific day that was. You wrote your story well. I was so thankful that we didn't get up early that morning because we were supposed to be at immigration 1 block away with our 2 youngest, I had 4 at the time. Dh picked the kids up from school immediately, and they were very uphappy about that...but I guess maybe they didn't know really what was happening. The nurse at the school lost her husband. A few of the kids lost their Dads. All our firemen were there. We lost 12 in our suburb, Manhasset lost 52. I heard a lot of the stories from the people trapped down there. We don't have TV. Dh went down that night with our church with the homeless food truck and stayed til FEMA & Red Cross came 2 days later and kicked them out. He joined the search/rescue for a few days but he couldn't stay, the desperation of the men to find their guys was beyond him. He said he just didn't belong down there. It took me over a year to stopped listening to every plane that came over (which were very few then) till they disappeared safely.

rathwel said...

I know how you felt that day...I watched the whole thing happen in front of my eyes...I still remember standing there by the ferry terminal on the Staten Island side watching that second plane hit...and then later hearing my daughter scream in front of her school as the first tower began to fall..Still can't talk about it in front of the kids my son's soccer coach was one of the firefighters who was killed along with about 40 other people that the family knew through my father (He worked in those buildings for 23 years as an elevator mechanic)...

Oh my heck! I was featured. And it didn't hurt or anything!