GoodNCrazy Book Review: Sex Ed Discussion

101 Questions Kids Really Ask...

healthyedudynamics.com puberty education

And the Answers They Need To Know
Author: Mary H. Halter
Book Review



Head's up everyone.. it's that time in my world. Yup. Puberty.
No not mine..
My tween's.

Have you been to the sex ed. health course put on by your kid's school? The one where the boys sit and titter and the girls cover their mouths with their hands? I have. And quite honestly I was basically shocked at how really Terrifc it was. The nurse was funny, and put all the girls (and their mom's) totally at ease. She had correct information and it was plentiful and helpful. I swear I even learned a few things!

What was your 'maturation' class like when you were a kid?
Mine?
A joke.
I left thinking... huh? They use all that... for what?
When will this happen? How? Where!? Can I just please be a BOY!

And what kind of help did you get at home?
Let me quote the Sum Total of advice I got:
"You need to get up there all the way or sometimes it hurts."

I am not kidding. I didn't dare ask, and therefore no one helped. I got more information from the Jr. High Volleyball bus than anywhere else. And believe me, that's NOT where I want my daughter to get her information.

As an adult I tend to be the parent who uses anatomically correct words with my children. I tend to encourage them to ask questions, sensitive and otherwise. I tend to find quiet times to talk to them about big issues from drugs, to age appropriate body discussions, to how they behave when they see someone else who is hurting for any reason at school or church or where-ever. And yes. My daughter has already received the cervical cancer vaccine.

So I jumped when given the chance to read and review 101 Questions. I've never been one to shy away from the tough issues. Whether you are like me or a bit more reserved when it comes to sensitive issues, this book will help you talk to your tween.


101 Questions Kids Really Ask comes from the organization: Healthy Edudynamics. The author, Mary Halter, created this book as a companion to the whole comprehensive health education program she helped develop.

Apparently there were teachers, parents, grandparents and health professionals begging to be able to take home some of the materials from the program! I can see why. I'm loving this book too! The Author found that all children have the same basic age-appropriate questions... and she asks us to imagine our next generation:
"...where the kids move through adolescence with a holistic, healthy and respectful view of their bodies and the bodies of those around them."-Mary H. Halter

I love how it starts out with ACTUAL questions tweens asked during Ms. Halter's classes.
Some examples are:

  • Is there something you can eat to make sure you have smart sperm?
  • Why don't girls stand up to pee, and why do boys have to stand up to pee?
  • Questions about boys having 'good tummy aches'.
  • Are you sure babies don't go to the bathroom inside the mom?
    —this answer starts with: Time for a short anatomy lesson! (I think that is brilliant, pointing out when it's time to talk about body parts as well as the whole answer.)
  • How do you keep from having puberty?(I like the answer for this one so much I'm sharing it here)
    —"Puberty is something that happens to all of us. It is not something that a person can keep from happening. It may sound scary and seem like something a person would want to avoid, but it's really an awesome time in your life!"
  • When should a girl start to shave?
    —After explaining some whys about a girl's body, she answers this way: "Shaving is a personal decision and needs to be discussed with a caring adult." (I'm totally impressed with the way they encourage kids to find a 'caring adult' to help them out.)
Other parts of the book include:
  • Questions asked about babies
  • Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault (including bullying)
  • Later in the book there is an area for 'sensitive' issues.
    Intercourse, homosexuality, Sex before marriage etc.. and there are terrific answers... (but again I'm most impressed with the parts that suggest ways parents can talk to their children and answer them with positive, physiologically correct answers and yet still insert the parent's own values.)
  • When should I discuss puberty with my child.
  • And ends with helpful diagrams and images that will help you when your child begins asking questions
If you are a friend, cousin, aunt, grandma, or parent of a child who might chose to source you as a 'caring adult'... then this book is for you. They also sell a puberty DVD that will help you to help your kids. And the Healthy Edudynamics Blog is also a great resource.
You can purchase both the book and the DVD for only $19.99 plus S&H directly from the website.


Here's to my healthy tween!

Oh my heck! I was featured. And it didn't hurt or anything!



Photobucket



gmbmbadge.jpg







1581884212_57276dd550_o