Pistachio..What Did I Ever Do To You?

A day late and a topping short.

I had this great PLAN.

St. Patrick's Day was coming. And I bought corned beef and cabbage, the works. I totally didn't even know how to cook it. (You so know my twitter peeps came thru on that part) Just throw it into the crock pot and walk away. Done.

But.

You knew there was a BUT comin' didn't you.

But.

I also had this second part to my plan. THE DESSERT. I got the idea from slc.citymommy.com. What could be better than PISTACHIO CAKE for St. Pat's!? I totally love pistachio pudding. I do. Call me a geek, call me crazy.

So I found a couple different recipes to combine into one great doozer symphony of a cake. {Of course I can't leave well enough...}

I bought the ingredients I knew I didn't have; including heavy whipping cream. I couldn't remember how much cream I needed tho? A whole pint, a half pint? What the heck..go all out, I bought the big one! And then.

I left the groceries in the van...

For 3 hours.

I figured maybe the cream was still okay? I'd just hurry and stick it in the freezer, get it cold quickly and hope? Maybe?

I made the cake, it was beautiful! Green Goddess Beautiful. And later I went to make the whip cream frosting.... oh crap. How long did I end up leaving that stinkin' whipped cream in the freezer!

Ahhh. Totally frozen! (PS, it says right on the container? DO NOT FREEZE.) It should have the warning 'distracted moms need not apply'.

I tented the cake, and went to bed.

~~~~~

And then later the next day, after the kids' parent teacher conferences, I ran quickly to the store to grab that DANG cream. I DID NOT HAVE MY WALLET? Is this a curse!? At least it was in the van.. I ran back out, and back in and oh my gosh I was a MOM on a MISSION by this point.

I'm getting my Pistachio Cake come leprechauns or green clovers.

I pulled up the topping recipe and GET THIS. I mean oh. my. holy. cabbage.
The recipe calls for a whole pint of heavy cream. YES. I bought a half pint the second go round.
I made that bad old topping anyway. And WORLD? Here is the most amazing cake I think I've ever made. It's not pretty, but holy moly it's moist, and over the top sweet, and green for Pete's Sake!

Happy St. Patty's, maybe next year I'll get to eat it on time.


You know you want to watch this... it's only 31 seconds long... listen right at the end to what my 8yrold says...



Here's the Recipe I created.

Pistachio St. Patty's Cake

* 10 1/4 ounces white cake mix
* 3 1/2 ounces instant pistachio pudding mix
* 4 eggs
* 1/4 cup oil
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 1/2 cups water

Glaze

* 6 oz canned milk
* 6 oz sweetened condensed milk


Pistachio icing

* 3 1/2 ounces instant pistachio pudding mix
* 1 pint heavy whipping cream

Directions

1. CAKE:Mix all the cake ingredients together and pour into two 9” cake pans or one bunt pan.
2. Place in oven for 35 -45 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick poked into the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
3. GLAZE: In a medium bowl, combine canned milk with sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into it in even rows using a large fork or chopsticks. Pour milk mixture over, allowing it to soak into the cake. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
4. PISTACIO ICING. Place your bowl and beaters from your electric mixer in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
5. Once the bowl and beaters are chilled start to mix the heavy cream and one box of Instant Pistachio pudding slowly at first then gradually increase to the maximum speed of your mixer till you have soft peaks. Mine was a bit thick.. maybe add some milk to make a better consistancy?

I combined two different recipes to create my version: This Coconut Splendiferous one for the Glaze. And this Pistachio Wonder for the cake and icing.
Rachel From ASouthernFairyTale has other..probably BETTER recipes go check!




Tweet Me from GoodNCrazy.com

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

First, my mom ruined St. Patrick's Day for me by making corned beef and cabbage every year. The smell makes me queasy now.

And second, that cake sounds and looks FABULOUS. I may have to try it!

Grammy said...

Just checking out the party hopping. I have never done this one. nice to meet you have a great day!

Diva Scrapper said...

Hmmm. interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I am Harriet said...

Hi.
I hope you had a fun VGNO.

Today I am leaving 100 comments.
Wish me luck!
Have a great day!

said...

I applaud your tenacity!

Rachelle S said...

lol, you caught it on video! Did the kids end up liking it? It sounds great!
I love pistachio too, especially Thrifty's ice cream or some pistachio cool whip jello fluff I make.

Melissa Ann Browning said...

I was totally curious what your 8yr-old said - but it won't let me watch the video :(

What'd she say?

susette said...

I'm coming over from Blog Stalkers Unite, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight I believe. I am ahead for now but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere and I would so, so, appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspopt.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥

GeekMommy said...

I grew up with that pistachio cake - only without "frosting" of any sort - just a dusting of powdered sugar across the top.

Made it for my husband a few years into our marriage and he got hooked too.

Now I wish I'd remembered to make it for St. Patty's day. But it's never too late! :)

Kaye Butler said...

BEA--U--TI--FUL CAKE. No one would even try it at my house. MM is reading over my should and getting on my last nerve.

Rachel said...

yum. yum. yum!!!!!!!!!!

I am dying over you. I adore you.
NEVER leave a dairy product out. EVER.
LMAO.

Carissa, you have to do every MWM if for no other reason than you are so phenomenally fun! K?

HUGS and I am sooooo making this!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Thanks everyone was a super yummy cake.. and I think next time I will make it without the dang fronsting.. it was really good without..!

annies home said...

cake looks great thanks for the recipe
shopannies@Yahoo.com

Unknown said...

This sounds like something that would happen to me....TOO FUNNY!


Oh my heck! I was featured. And it didn't hurt or anything!



Photobucket



gmbmbadge.jpg







1581884212_57276dd550_o