(The rules and schedule are next I promise. Well soon anyway....)
I shouldn’t have done that. Teased about the big list my kids came up with. The big list that was going to save our summer boredom lives.
Fill up 8 half hour blocks of time with activities that (mostly) do not include mom. 4 hours, people!
Cooking Time— This works out to be snack time and play time all rolled into one!
(one day’s half hour is spent- a)finding recipes and b) writing up a list of any ingredients we might not have in the pantry!)
Recipes on their list:
- Strawberry Bread
- Chocolate Cheesecake squares
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Fruit Kabobs with yogurt dipping sauce
- Carrots and Ranch, Cheese and Crackers
- Sadie’s famous Chocolate cookies (2 eggs, ½ cup oil, one box chocolate cake mix---presto!)
(Later they added in the brilliant idea that once a week THEY would cook dinner! I love that one!)
Education/School Time—Believe it or not they love this one?
Options for this half hour time slot:
Reading(to self or to younger sibling) Sadie is up to book 5 Harry Potter, Sassy is reading Magic Tree House and anything by , (just finished “Operation Dump The Chump”). Barbara Park
- Computer Games (you can find a bazillion suggestions for great edu/games, just google it!)
- A couple we like are: http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/ and http://www.prongo.com/ and http://www.coolmath4kids.com/
- Play ‘school’, usually Sadie's the 'teacher', but every so often I see 'em switch it around?
- Baseball (or T-ball for TK)
- Learn how to play Cricket?
(Make up your own ‘yard’ versions of these games and away you go!)
Science—this is a lot like cooking time…
- Make goop.
- Make sidewalk paint (from cornstarch)
- Make homemade bubbles
- Dig up worms from the ‘worm factory’ AKA mom’s compost heap.
- Goto Library, get book on science experiments for kids (this was on the list I swear…I’m just typing it).
Art Time---always a favorite…
- Rainbow Paint
- Markers, crayons, regular paint
- Work on scrapbooks
- Chalk art
- Foam Shape art
- Make props for Drama (see Cat. 6)
Drama—(and other live action stuff)
- Magic Shows
- Choreograph their own Dances
- Fashion Shows
And then video their hard work…that’s the best part!
Free Time—They love this one too. (After coming up with all this other stuff, they love just hanging out)
- Time alone in bedroom
- Play in playroom
- Play in backyard
- Find friends in the neighborhood
- Barbies/Polly Pocket/Cars/Ben10
- Kid’s Camp—On the weeks we run one of these, a lot of the other categories are spent planning and preparing for this. See my post about it here.
- Lemonade stands fall under this one too.
At the bottom of the big list, they added a few ‘hopefuls’
- Go bowling.
- Drive to Cove Fort,
- Ride the train and have lunch with Dad.
- Visit the local ‘gardens’.
- Spend a day at the local Theme Park.
- Have cousin’s over for several days at a time.
Don’t ya love Summer time with kids?